Enjoy an alternative waterside activity with a beach metal detector and have fun combing the beach for hidden treasure. Although made for rugged handling and conditions, beach metal detectors need basic care for longer life spans. Here are six simple tips to help you get the most out of your equipment.
1. RINSE. Wash off the saltwater from your metal detector immediately after use. Left to dry on your equipment, saltwater and its residue can cause rust and corrosion. A fresh water rinse and wipe down is an easy must after a beach outing.
2. WASH & DRY. Give your beach metal detector a proper cleaning with mild soap and water after each use. This will take care of any salt residue or sand particles the simple rinse didn’t catch. Getting rid of the grains will also prevent rusting and scratches. Wipe dry to finish.
3. A LITTLE SPECIAL ATTENTION. The battery compartment door is ringed by rubber that keeps it airtight and waterproof. After and in-between uses, remove the batteries and wipe the compartment’s interior with a dry, lint-free cloth. Close the battery compartment door and wipe the outside clean of sand and water.
4. AVOID EXTREMES. As with most battery-powered devices, metal detectors are sensitive to extreme temperatures and radiation. Avoid prolonged exposure to severe temperatures whether hot or cold. On occasion, you might get tempted to stash it in the trunk of your car. Unfortunately, unlike your golf bag, it might not survive an afternoon of baking under the hot sun.
5. BEFORE YOU STORE. A last run-through before you stow your gadget until the next outing. Make sure the power is off. Take out the batteries in between uses—especially for longer periods—to safeguard against corrosion and battery leaks. Keep your metal detector in a cool, dry place.
6. SOME REMINDERS. It’s a metal detector. It’s not a cane, a stick, a crutch, or a shovel. Used as directed, it can bring hours and hours of discovery, learning, and fun. If it doesn’t function properly, check the batteries. If batteries aren’t the problem, check your warranty. Whether within the warranty or not, refrain from tinkering with it. First, non-sanctioned modifications may invalidate warranty; second, homemade modifications may prove hazardous.
Beach metal detectors are available in a wide variety of types and price ranges, but an investment in a high-quality one is the best move. Check out the lineup at Metal Detector Town for selections that won’t disappoint.